live-in (separate accommodation)
Approx. 8-1/ 5-8
€70 - €100.000 gross per annum (updated)
UPDATED: For a HNW couple we are looking for an experienced qualified Private Chef to be based in the Algarve, Portugal with travel. Fine dining, strong knowledge of nutrition and Indian cuisine essential as well as a strong personal approach to healthy living.
The couple are building their own villa which will include a show kitchen and large basement kitchen, to be completed summer 2022. In the meantime a temporary property is rented, where the couple reside up to 6 months of the year when not travelling. This is where the Private Chef will be based and will have his own local apartment provided for as well as transport.
There are three other staff (live-out) within the household and the couple own two large dogs. The household is run semi-formal.
Healthy nutrition is of great importance to the couple, balanced light meals, organic fresh seasonal produce of the finest quality, gluten and sugar free, well cooked and presented with style and finesse. Extensive knowledge of Indian cuisine would be very beneficial as well as Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines, with excellent knowledge of spices (sourcing, storing, processing). They seek someone who themselves is following and living a healthy lifestyle with great knowledge of nutritional benefits. The couple occasionally entertain (fine dining) with no more than 6-8 people once a month and the other staff are able to assist in the kitchen. A typical day includes a smoothie or porridge for breakfast, a light lunch and a two course dinner.
When the couple travel (up to max 3 months away), the Private Chef, depending on the location (EU and Middle East), would travel with them or would have time out. For instance for an upcoming trip to Switzerland in August/ September the chef would travel with them and work from the kitchen of a well-known 5 star hotel.
Duties of the Private Chef:
- Plan creative nutritious menus
- Sourcing and shopping for fresh organic produce locally and online
- Storing produce and goods accordingly
- Organizing cupboard
- Maintaining equipment and machinery
- Preparing and cooking nutritious meals
- Lay tables and serve meals
- Cleaning kitchen to very high hygiene standards
- Decorating tables if required
- Keeping track of expenses
- Cooking lunch time meals for staff (same food as client) when Principal in residence
- Assisting with planning of new kitchens
- Cooking in hotel kitchen when required
- Chef’s qualifications
- Min of 4 years’ experience within a private household and fine dining experience
- Strong nutritional knowledge (ideally qualifications)
- Excellent knowledge of Indian/ Med. and Middle Eastern cuisines
- Ability to work ‘clean’ (particularly in the show kitchen)
- Very high standard of hygiene and cleanliness at all times
- Fluency in English
- EU or UK passport for travel
- Clean drivers’ license
- Great awareness of COVID rules
- Recent security check
- Written references from private families
We are seeking a chef who can offer great flexibility, able to learn and understand the couple’s needs. If the couple entertain late on the occasion, the chef starts work late the following day or accrues time off. The Private Chef should be well organized and have good communication skills. All COVID related requirements and expenses for a paid trial are covered.
Hours: Approx. 8am - 1pm and 5pm - 8pm with flexibility) over 5-6 days a week (negotiable).
Salary: €70000 - €100000 gross per year depending on experience and previous salary, plus holidays, own apartment (or en-suite room when travelling) and transport provided.
Start: As soon as possible